Fishing on the Broads
The Broads are the perfect place to get your big (or small) Norfolk catch, with plenty of little-known spots that are gems for reeling in all kinds of interesting fish! Whether you’re out for the day, a full weeks fishing holiday or are a first-time fisher, there’s something for everyone to enjoy when fishing on The Broads.
With over 125 miles of waterways for you to explore, there’s a spot for everyone to moor up and reel in a big one! We’ve put together some of the best locations, tackle shops and types of fish you can expect to catch, so you’re well prepared for your angling adventure.
TOP FISHING SPOTS ON THE BROADS
There are plenty of free fishing locations and angling platforms on The Broads that don’t require you to have a permit to fish to your heart’s content, although you will still need an Environment Agency rod license. You can also conveniently fish from a boat if you would prefer, so there’s bound to be a type of fishing that will suit you and your very own adventure. If you have a particular spot in mind, there are also Private Broads that offer visits by appointment.
Each turn of The Broads is beautiful in its own right, with its very own environment for you to discover. Some of our favourite spots include:
- Hickling Broads & Heigham Sound – this lovely stretch of 400 acres of fishing is accessible by boat and promises a variety of catches and landscapes along the way
- Salhouse Island on the River Bure – this is the river’s top spot with a huge variety of fish for you to catch
- Potter Heigham (close to Herbert Woods) – this excellent fishing spot is well-located and promises you a great selection of catches
- Little Bridge Broads – this well-kept secret is a great spot at either dawn or dusk
- Fakenham Common – this free spot along the River Wensum will take you down one of Norfolk’s loveliest rivers.
TACKLE SHOPS ON THE BROADS
If you’ve forgotten something vital for your excursion – fear not! There are lots of great tackle shops dotted around The Broads that have everything an angler could dream of owning. With lots of different stock and equipment depending on which one you choose, you’ll never have to go without your fishing essentials whilst on The Broads.
Some of our favourites include: Lathams of Potter Heigham, Wroxham Angling and Gift Centre and Norfolk Tackle in Gorleston.
With plenty of tackle shops located around The Broads, it’s worth checking if there is something in particular you are looking for – there’s bound to be a shop that can help.
WHAT YOU CAN CATCH
With a kaleidoscope of fish up for catching on The Broads, no two days of fishing are ever the same! Dependent on where you choose to fish, you can expect to find something new each time. However, if there is a particular catch you’re after, it’s worth doing some research into the best area to find what you’re looking to bring home.
Common catches on The Broads include pike, bream, roach, carp (mirror and common), rudd, eels, tench, casters, corn and perch.